Yamhill County in the Willamette Valley is the very heart of Oregon’s most famous wine region. Yamhill County, and the town of Newberg in particular, is also home to some great disc golf courses.
In downtown Newberg, you can play the nine-hole course located in Herbert Hoover Park, or find Ewing Young’s 12-hole nature course on the outskirts of town. Both courses are well worth the time spent in the car from Portland or Salem, and both courses are within spittin’ distance of dozens of outstanding wineries.
After playing Ewing Young last weekend, I started wondering if any Oregon wineries had a disc golf course on premise. Given how valuable Oregon’s wine-growing land is, it might not be the most economically feasible idea.
- Anderson Valley Brewing Company in Boonville, CA
- The Brewing Lair in Blairsden CA
- Blind Squirrel Brewery, Plumtree Valley Vineyards and Elk Mountain Disc Golf Course, Plumtree, NC
- Long Trout Winery and Disc Golf Course, Auburn, PA
- Hyland Disc Golf Course and Pioneer Brewing Company, Fiskdale, MA
- Oso Libre Winery, Paso Robles, California
- McMenamins Grand Lodge, Forest Grove, OR
Safe Places to “Drink ‘n’ Drive”
I think we will see more of this and more opportunities to combine adventure travel, food and wine, natural history and disc sports. In fact, I can definitely imagine a successful tour company operating Pacific Northwest eco-tourism packages, where disc golf plays prominently in the daytime activities.